In 1916 the first congregation of the Laurel Church of the Nazarene was in a small church by the fire hall. This church could accommodate 30 people comfortably. In October of 1921, the church received its charter to become the Church of the Nazarene (second oldest church on the district). In 1937 the church moved to a new and bigger building on the corner of Fifth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. In 1972, unable to purchase the adjacent lot, the church moved to its present location at 11th Street and Second Ave. Thomas and Edith Mathis had traded their farm land for the current church property. The education wing and the foyer were built first, using the wood from an old barn. In 1982 the church started to build the sanctuary and the basement.
With God's help, there have been many people and families through the years that have given so much for the cause of Christ. The "saints" as we now call them, prayed and fasted constantly, relying on God and His faithfulness. He did not let them down and through their prayers, hard work and determination, we are able to continue to worship our Lord and minister to our community today. Through the years, we, the younger generation, watched them live out that beautiful saying "oh, may all who come behind us, find us faithful." We are a family of God and we invite you to become a part of God's family with us.